E. N. Nikitina, N. K. Onipenko A Cognitive Linguistic Interpretation of Statistical Analysis Results Based on Texts by Persons with Mental Disorder
The paper is devoted to cognitive analysis of essays written by persons in clinical depression and schizophrenia within a psychological experiment. The paper combines a linguistic interpretation of statistical text analysis results (such as statistically significant number of personal pronouns ya, my, ty, vy and corresponding possessives and past tense forms of verbs) and direct discourse analysis with such linguistic terms and instruments as category of person, category of tense, significant absence of pronoun (so called syntactic zero, anaphora), predicate (especially 1-st and 3-d person form and semantics), text strategy and text composition. The concrete-referent (my/vy/ty s mamoy) and generalizing (my/vy/ty as the whole of mankind) meanings of personal pronouns are regarded. Special attention is paid to morphological base of the generalizing meaning and ways of its realization in different clinical groups. Thus, depression chooses my-form (as a personal inclusion of speaker in general community experience) and schizophrenia prefers ty-form (as an attempt to include a potential addressee into speaker`s personal experience). As the essays of the two clinical groups showed a considerable amount of past tense forms, the paper interprets their semantics and traces it in association with the clinical status of speakers.
statistical text analysis, clinical depression, schizophrenia, cognitive and discourse analysis, text strategy, category of person, category of tense, personal sphere, dialogue, speaker`s inclusion.
1. Enikolopov, S.N., Medvedeva, T.I., Vorontsova, O.Yu., CРudova, N.V., Penkina, M.Yu., Minin, A.N., Stankevich, M.A., Smirnov, I.V., Lyubavskaya A.A. 2018. Lingvisticheskie kharakterisiki tekstov psikhicheski bol`nykh i zdorovykh lyudey. Psikhologicheskie issledovaniya: elektronnyi nauchnyi zhurnal. V. 11.61.
2. Enikolopov, S.N., Medvedeva, T.I., Vorontsova, O.Yu., Ivanova, P.O. 2019. Otsenka tekstov, napisannykh bol`nymi endogennumi psikhicheskimi zabolevaniyami. Psikhiatriya. 1 (81) (in press).
3. Onipenko, N.K. 2013. Model` subyektnoy perspektivy i problema klassifikatsii egotsentricheskikh sredstv [Subject perspective model and classification problem of egocentric means]. Problemy funktsional`noy grammatiki: Printsip estestvennoy klassifikatsii. T.5. [Issues in functional grammar. Principle of natural classification. V.5]. Saint- Petersbourg. 92–121.
4. Onipenko, N.K. 2017. kategoriya litsa v grammatike i tekste [Category of person in grammar and discourse]. Problemy funktsional`noy grammatiki: predikativnye kategorii v vyskazyvanii i tselostnom tekste. T.5. [Issues in functional grammar. Рredicative categories in a sentence and discourse. V.6]. Saint-Petersbourg. 200–224.
5. Nikitina, E.N. 2014. Stilistika grammatiki v poeticheskom tekste (na primere stikhotvoreniy B.Sh. Okudzhavy) [Stylistics of grammar in poetry (from the evidence of the poetry by B. Okudzhava)]. Trudy Instituta russkogo yazyka RAN, 2. [Vinogradov Russian Language Institute Proceedings, 2]. Moscow. 352– 358.
6. Peshkovskiy, A.M. 2001. Russkiy sintaksis v nauchnom osveshchenii [Russian syntax in a scientific light]. Moscow: Editorial URRS.
7. Bulygina, T.V., and Shmelev, A.D. 1997. Iazykovaia kontseptualizatsiia mira (na materiale russkoi grammatiki) [Linguistic conceptualization of the world (from the evidence of the Russian grammar)]. Moscow: Shkola Iazyki Russkoi Kul’tury. 576 p.