This article is focused on the features of using the concept of «trust» in relation to artificial intelligence systems. It’s shown that in human sciences the historical content of the concept places certain restrictions on using it in the area of artificial intelligence and information technology in general. Ignoring these features may lead to dangerous consequences while using «trustworthy» AI systems in dealing with especially critical applied tasks of intellectual data processing.
artificial intelligence, artificial intelligence tasks, applied (narrow) artificial intelligence, artificial intelligence trustworthiness, quality of artificial intelligence systems, artificial intelligence ecosystem.
1. Department of Defense standard. Department of Defense trusted computer system evaluation criteria. DoD 5200. December l985.
2. ERCIM News. Special theme: Trustworthy Systems of Systems. Safety & Security Co-engineering. Num.102. European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics. July 2015.
3. OECD. Artificial Intelligence in Society. 2019. 150 p.
4. ISO 24028:2019 Information technology — Artificial intelligence (AI) — Overview of trustworthiness in Artificial intelligence. 2019.
5. Nacional’naya strategiya razvitiya iskusstvennogo intellekta na period do 2030 goda [The National Strategy for the Development of Artificial Intelligence for the period until 2030], approved by Decree of the President of the Russian Federation of October 10. 2019 No. 490.
6. DARPA. Explainable AI (XAI) Project. Available at: https://www.darpa.mil/program/explainable-artificial-intelligence (accessed February 5. 2020).
7. Ilyasov F.N. Tipy shkal i analiz raspredelenij v sociologii [Types of scales and analysis of distributions in sociology]. Monitoring obshchestvennogo mneniya: ekonomicheskie i social’nye peremeny [Monitoring of public opinion: economic and social changes]. 2014. no 4, p. 24-40.
8. Ilyin E.P. Psihologiya doveriya [Psychology of trust]. St. Petersburg: Piter. 2013. 288 p.
9. Giddens A. The consequences of modernity. Stanford: Stanford univ. press. 1990.
10. Gelfanova S.V., Lavrov V.N. Doverie kak fenomen kul’tury [Trust as a cultural phenomenon] Available at: http://www.delorus.com/medialibrary/detail.php?ID=1896 (accessed February 20. 2020).
11. Fukuyama F. Doverie: social’nye dobrodeteli i put’ k procvetaniyu [Trust: social virtues and the path to prosperity]. Moscow. LLC “Publishing House ACT”: CJSC NPP “Ermak”, 2004. 730 p.
12. Bol’shoj psihologicheskij slovar’ [Great psychological dictionary]. Moscow. Prime- EUROZNAK Publ. ed. by Meshcheryakova B.G., acad. Zinchenko V.P, 2003.
13. Yakhontova E.S. Doverie v upravlenii personalom. Zarubezhnye podhody i otechestvennyj opyt ocenki [Trust in personnel management. Foreign approaches and domestic experience of assessment]. Sociologicheskie issledovaniya [Sociological studies]. 2004. № 9. P. 117-121.
14. Enciklopedicheskij Slovar’ [Encyclopedic Dictionary] of Brockhaus F.A. and Efron I.A. St. Petersburg. 1890-1907.
15. Tikhomirov O.K. Psihologiya myshleniya [Psychology of thinking]. Moscow, Publ. house of Moscow University. 1984. 272 p.